Zoom! teeth whitening in The Woodlands is one of the fastest, most affordable cosmetic dentistry treatments. In as little as one hour, your teeth can go from dull and yellow to brilliant and stunningly white. Unfortunately, however, your smile can become discolored again over time; that’s why it is so important to take steps to maintain the results of your Zoom! treatment. Let’s discuss how you can keep the stains at bay and enjoy your radiant new grin for as long as possible.
The First 48 Hours Are Critical
During your Zoom! session, a powerful bleaching gel and a special light work together to penetrate the tooth enamel and break up deep-set stains. The process is generally very safe for teeth, but it does temporarily make them extra porous. Therefore, your teeth may be particularly vulnerable to stains in the first 48 hours following your treatment. They are also likely to be more sensitive than usual.
To prevent new stains and cope with sensitivity, you should:
- Avoid all dark beverages, including coffee, red wine, and tea.
- Do not drink any soda, even ones that do not have any coloring.
- Do not eat blueberries, raspberries, or any other highly pigmented fruit.
- Avoid all tobacco products.
- Be wary around extremely hot or cold foods or beverages.
After the First 48 Hours
After a few days, you should be able to resume your normal eating and drinking habits. However, if you truly want to get the most out of your whitening treatment, you should make a few simple adjustments to your routine:
- Enjoy dark foods and beverages in moderation.
- Sip staining beverages through a straw so they have as little contact with your teeth as possible.
- Drink plenty of plain water to rinse away any particles or acids that might otherwise cling to your teeth and cause stains.
- Periodically perform whitening touchups. Your dentist may recommend a product you can use to vanquish any new stains that occur.
Oral Hygiene for Whiter Teeth
White teeth aren’t necessarily healthy teeth, and yellow teeth aren’t necessarily unhealthy. However, sticking to a routine that is good for your teeth will help you maintain the results of your Zoom! treatment. You should always:
- Floss daily. Floss can remove plaque from between the teeth that would otherwise lead to decay and discoloration.
- Be gentle when you’re brushing. Being too aggressive can wear away your tooth enamel and make it easier to see the yellowish dentin underneath it.
- Brush your teeth about 30 minutes after meals, particularly after you indulge in something that might lead to new stains.
- Use a mouth rinse. Some rinses both fight bacteria and contain a mild bleaching agent that fights stains.
Maintaining your new glow after teeth whitening is easy! With good oral hygiene and a few easy changes to your eating and drinking habits, you can enjoy a brilliant smile that endures for years.
About the Author
Dr. Johnny Taylor, a general and cosmetic dentist in The Woodlands, has been practicing the art and science of oral healthcare for over 30 years. He is proud to offer Zoom! whitening and other treatments that contribute to a beautiful, confident smile. To learn more about the services he provides, contact our office at 281-394-0428.